Chapter 10: A Talk

5 July 2017


Romeo

I didn’t know why she looked so much like my childhood friend. But one thing I’m certain was that their personalities were completely different. The Juliet I used to know was kind and gentle. She always had a smile on her, even if she fell down from a bike and for some reason, she would always have band-aids in her pockets.

But this Juliet is different; in fact, she’s entirely the opposite. She has this attitude that just makes me lose my patience. The attitude that makes you want to argue back, just for the fun of it. And when it comes to an argument, you don’t want to lose to her. Because if you did, she’ll have this smile that says ‘victory’ for her and ‘in your face’ to me.

I shook my thoughts away and turned the lights on. Walking into my bedroom and throwing a pile of biology books onto my desk, I lifted my violin case from the chair and placed it on my bed.

Unbuckling the belt, I opened the case and pulled out the violin and bow. I attached the shoulder rest onto the violin and started playing any melody that my arms wanted.

I didn’t care what song I was playing. I just needed to play something just to get my head back to normal. At the moment, the only thing I could think of was Julietmy childhood friend.

I really missed her. Now, realising a person who looked just like herwho also happened to live right next door to meI really couldn’t stop thinking about her. Could it be a coincidence? Or is it really her?

The barbeque dinner before also reminded me of something. When she accidentally splashed tomato sauce onto my cheek, we were literally having a staring contest. To be honest, I haven’t had a staring contest for a long time because the only person I did it with was my childhood friend, Juliet.

I thought that she would go on with the staring contest and made our parents realised that we weren’t getting along. But when I finally noticed that she didn’t want to ruin the enjoyable conversation that our parents were having, she ended up saying sorry to me.

I continued playing the violin whilst remembering the way she looked away and passed me the napkin. From the interactions I’d encountered with her, I knew that she’s not the kind of person who likes to admit that she’s wrong, and she’s probably the type of person who rarely says the word ‘sorry’ as well.

But in the end, she said ‘sorry’. That really took me by surprise.

Her ‘sorry’ was in a soft voice, almost like a whisper. It was also kind of amusing seeing her react like that.

Then suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted when I heard her voice. I stopped playing the violin and held it down parallel to my body.

“Could you just keep your music to yourself?” I heard her calling across the window.

The white curtains in my room fluttered in and out as I turned over to her direction. My eyes widened as I saw her pose, standing there with a thick book in her hand. Guessing that the book was a math textbook, it really looked like she was going to throw it into my room.

But she didn’t. She just stood there, suddenly paused, as though she just realised something. Within the next minute, she dropped the textbook and collapsed.

“Hey, Juliet! What’s wrong with you?”

She didn’t answer. I waited a little longer. But she still didn’t respond. Something must’ve happened to her. This wasn’t goodespecially for a person as lively as her. She usually wouldn’t stop until she wins an argument or in this case, wouldn’t rest until she made me stop playing my violin.

I placed my violin and bow on my bed and quickly pulled a jacket with me. Running downstairs, my mum and dad stood up as they saw me racing down the stairs. “Where are you going at this time, Romeo?” Dad asked.

I quickly put my shoes on and opened the door, “I think, something happened to Juliet.”

Mum’s eyes widened, “Juliet? What happened to her?”

“I’m not quite sure,” I answered. “But I’m going to go over and check it out.” I closed the door and ran over to her house.


Juliet

I heard a beeping noise right next to my ears. By the sound of it, it was beeping at a steady rate. I forced my eyes to open and bright light entered as soon I lifted my eyelids. I blinked a few times before my vision became clearer.

“She’s awake,” I heard a fainted voice.

I turned to my left and noticed that the beeping sound was from a heart monitor. Then moving my head to the right, I saw my mum holding onto my hand tightly.

“Juliet, can you hear me?” she asked, quietly.

I slightly nodded and she sighed in relief. “I’m glad you’re awake.”

I scanned around the room and noticed that my parents were still in their pyjamas, wrapped with a coat.

“What happened?” I looked around again. “Where am I?”

Dad stepped forward, closer to the bed. “We’re at the hospital after you collapsed in your bedroom. And for some reason, Romeo was the one who told us that something had happened to you.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Ice Pack Stealer did?”

Mum frowned as she analysed my words, “Who’s ‘Ice Pack Stealer’?”

I weakly smiled, “Oh, I mean Romeo.”

“How can you call a nice boy like Romeo, ‘Ice Pack Stealer’?”

“Um…” I gave her a half-smile. “It’s a long story.”

Mum was about to open her mouth to say something, but Dad interrupted.

“Moreover,” he paused, “we should thank him somehow.” Then looking at me, his eyes narrowed. “I know that Romeo is a good boy. But how did Romeo know that something happened to you when you’re in your bedroom?”

I could tell that Dad was getting suspicious about Ice Pack Stealer.

I sighed and looked up. “You see, he was playing his violin at almost midnight and I couldn’t sleep because it was noisy.” I paused to see if he was convinced. “I’m surprised you didn’t hear anything from his room,” I paused again to see Dad’s expression, but he wasn’t responding. “Anyway, I was telling him to be quiet, my headache came in and knocked me unconscious. Since I was half-way talking to him, I guess he saw me fainted.” I finished my statement and shrugged.

“I see.”

Dad seemed a bit relaxed, but his eyes were telling me that he was still not quite happy with my explanation.

“I’m telling you the truth,” I added. “It’s not like Ice Pack Stealer, I mean, Romeo and I are dating. That, I can tell you, will never happen.” I strongly stated.

Mum looked at me worriedly but at the same time, she was kind of disappointed. Probably because she and Mrs Jones were hoping that we would become a couple.

That thought just sent me chills down my spine. Thinking Ice Pack Stealer and I talking sweetly to each other… No way! Never going to happen!

Then there was a knock on the door.

My parents and I, all turned to the direction where the door was.

Mum called out with a clear voice, “Come in.”

The door swing opened and I saw Ice Pack Stealer stepped in.

Surprised, Mum greeted him. “Good morning, Romeo.”

He smiled and greeted back. “Good morning, Mr and Mrs Hayes,” he said, calmly. “I’m here just to ask if Juliet is alright.”

He glanced towards my direction and his blue eyes looked relieved.

“Thank you for your concern,” my dad spoke. “As you can see, she’s all good now.”

Ice Pack Stealer nodded and smiled at methe type of smile that seemed a little too fishy for my taste. But it could just be a genuine smile. Who knows?

I wanted to narrow my eyes to test what kind of smile it was, but because my parents were there; I relaxed my shoulders and forced myself to smile back.

He then blinked a few times as though he hadn’t seen me smile before.

I ignored his reaction. He continued to walk closer to the bed.

“Also,” he passed a bunch of flowers to my mum, “my parents wanted to pass these to Juliet. They hope that Juliet would recover soon. I apologise that they couldn’t come here to visit her, themselves.”

Mum reached for the flowers and placed them by the side of the bed, “Thank you, Romeo. But really, there’s no need for such formalities.”

“She has a point,” Dad nodded. “Besides, the doctor said that Juliet can leave the hospital the instant she wakes up. So like I said before, she’s in good shape now.”

Ice Pack Stealer just nodded with agreement. I glanced to my parents’ direction then to Ice Pack Stealer. It really seemed like I was invisible. They were just having a conversation, without noticing that I was still lying there in the bed.

Still thinking that I was invisible; my stomach growled.

All eyes laid on me.

I was no longer invisible. Great timing, stomach.

“You must be hungry,” Mum laughed at the sight of me patting my tummy. “It’s almost time for lunch and you also missed out breakfast.”

She then glanced up to Dad and he nodded. It was as though my parents were talking telepathically. “Yeah, I’ll go and buy some food.”

He turned to Ice Pack Stealer, “Would you like to join me?”

Ice Pack Stealer appeared shocked at first, but then he just nodded and followed Dad.

“Looks like your dad is going to have a serious talk with Romeo,” she sighed. “He can be too overprotective sometimes.”

I didn’t say a word after her statement. But I didn’t know what else to say. It just made me wonder more, Why would Dad want a serious talk with Ice Pack Stealer?


Romeo

Mr Hayes ended up holding four kebab wraps in his hand. “Thank you for paying. I forgot my wallet when we were in such a rush.”

I smiled back, “It was nothing.”

Placing the kebabs wraps into a paper bag and holding on it, Mr Hayes headed to the door and I followed him.

“May I ask what kind of illness does Juliet have?” I looked over to his direction.

We stepped out of the store and headed back to the hospital.

Smiling Mr Hayes placed his hand on my shoulder. “Son, you don’t need to use formal language with me,” he chuckled. “It’s alright. I don’t mind if you just talk casually.”

He gave me a pat on the backa hard one, actually.

But I didn’t take it personally.

Passing the shops and then stopping at the pedestrian lights, Mr Hayes continued. “Juliet’s illness isn’t exactly an illness,” he paused. “It’s more of something that has to do with her memories…” he stopped and looked at me, “her childhood memories.”

I was shocked when he finished his sentence. What does he mean by her childhood memories? She can’t remember her past?

By the time I glanced back at Mr Hayes again, I realised that he was studying my facial expression. I temporarily shook my thoughts away and relaxed. “So, does that mean she’ll be okay?”

“She seems okay,” Mr Hayes replied with concern. “Her headaches, at first, only lasted a few minutes. But as the years went by, it got worse.” He paused. “This was the first time that she fainted because of a headache.”

I didn’t know what else to say. How can a person like Juliet be suffering from headaches? She always says things from the top of her mind.

Then again, there must be a reason why her headaches were getting worse.

It just has to be her.

I then heard Mr Hayes chuckling again, “You really like her, don’t you?” Mr Hayes raised an eyebrow. “Or at least, is interested in her.”

My eyes widened; my face, heating up. I swallowed. How am I supposed to answer this?

Mr Hayes looked at my reaction and laughed. “Oh dear,” he smiled. “I don’t know how she does it. But this isn’t the first time I’ve seen a boy like this before.”

The minute he finished his statement, the pedestrian lights turned green. What does he mean, this isn’t the first time? Does he mean, Juliet used to have guys following her?

We crossed the road and I continued to follow Mr Hayes.

“Now that I think of it,” Mr Hayes stood there still smiling to me, “You and the other boy, do have some similarities.”

A question mark look spread over my face.

Mr Hayes nodded and continued walking, “I guess you’re wondering what I’m talking about?”
I kept quiet and continued listening to what he had to say.

“Well,” Mr Hayes paused, “before Juliet moved here. She had a boy following her for quite a while.”

I stopped.

“He’s a young fellow like you,” he laughed again.

When Mr Hayes noticed that I had stopped walking, he turned to where I was standing. “Are you okay, Romeo?” he asked as he walked back to me.

“I’m fine.”

“I see.” He replied, quietly to himself. “Romeo,” he said changing the subject, “remind me to pay back for these kebab wraps, okay?”

“It’s alright, Mr Hayes.” I smiled back, “You don’t need to pay any of it back.”

Mr Hayes wanted to say something after my sentence, but then he just nodded, “Okay then.”

He gave me another pat on the backa hard one again. This time, it almost made me tripped forward but instead, I held back my balance and smiled as if nothing had happened.

“If you say that then,” he continued, “I’ll give you a surprise present.”


Juliet

It had only been two days since I came back from the hospital and as much as I didn’t want to leave the house because it was hot outside, Mum made me put my shoes on and return the ice pack that I borrowed.

“Can’t I just give this back some other day?” I asked. “A day when it’s not so hot like today?”

Mum frowned, “But we’ve borrowed it for more than a week, and I don’t like keeping something that isn’t ours.”

I glanced back at her, “Then why can’t you give it to Mrs Jones yourself?”

By the time I turned around, she had already disappeared into her study room. I sighed, It feels like she’s avoiding to answer the question. I wanted to walk into her study and asked her the same question again, but I couldn’t be bothered walking back into the house, especially when I’m just a step away from the front door. I just left the question unanswered.

I tied my shoe laces and stood up. Thinking that it was too hot, even just to walk outside with my hair down, I pulled out a hair band from my wrist. Lifting my hair from the back, I reached for the loose strands, gathered them into a bundle, and then securing it by twisting the hair tie three times; my ponytail was finished.

I turned to the door and the moment I opened it, a gust of hot wind came in. I quickly shut the door and breathed out. It’s too hot!

“One more thing, Juliet,” I heard my mum called out.

I looked up and saw her peeking out of her study. “Do you mind passing that box to Mrs Jones too?” she pointed to a large plastic prism next to the door. “We borrowed some of their equipment for the barbeque last time.”

I rolled my eyes, “Fine.”

“I would do it myself if didn’t have these crazy deadlines.”

“I understand, Mum. I’ll be going then.”

I looked up to see if she was still there. Usually, she would say ‘thank you’ or something along those lines. But this time, she had already disappeared again. It really seemed like she’s the type of person who says a sentence and disappears in the next. She’s always in a hurry when she does something.

I lowered myself to pick up the box, I opened the door and took a step out into the sun.

Just standing there, trying to close the door, I felt like I was already a melted ice cream. But I just have to do this. I have to get this box to Mrs Jones ASAP; it’s personal now. I headed out of the gates and walked into their front yard. Then placed the box at the doorstep, I pressed the doorbell.

Ding dong!

I stood there patiently as I tried to avoid any sunlight touching my skin.

Waiting for about three minutes, I reached for the doorbell and pressed the button again. It surely rang all right, I could hear the bell ringing just by standing here. But I wonder why no one is opening the door? Could it be that no one was home?

I stood there and waited a bit longer. There was still no one. I shrugged and placed the ice pack, that I was holding, on the box and stood there thinking to myself. I guess I should be going then. I turned and glanced down at my watch. It’s 12:57 PM. It’s time for lunch!

Stepping out into the sun, I was again a melted ice cream. I lifted my hand to shade my eyes from the sun.

Out of the blue, I heard something moving. I turned around to seeing nothing, but an empty bucket lying on the ground next to the tap by the side of the house.

Could it be that the Jones family were all in the backyard and so they couldn’t hear the doorbell?

Even though it was hot and I wanted to go back into my air conditioned room, I felt guilty just leaving the box on the doorstep.

I mean, who knows if someone walked passed and stole the huge box of kitchen utensils? I would totally get the blame for not returning it properly, and probably be grounded for three whole weeks—not including the long lectures from both of my parents, yet.

I paused and took slow steps to where the blue bucket was. I glimpsed up and saw the side gate to the backyard was opened, which I found was quite unusual.

Don’t tell me there’s a burglar here.

I shook my thoughts away, but new ones keep coming in.

No, wait. Why would there be burglars at this time of the day? I mean, it’s noon and the sun is up high. Plus, no human would survive wearing those burglar clothes, they would probably just die in this heat.

But as I stepped past the gate, something splashed over me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Currently Writing