Chapter 8: The Box

4 July 2017


Even though it was dim like the world had just lost its sun, the two words, ‘My Stuff’ grabbed my attention. I made my way to the box and looked carefully at the words. It was bold and dark, written quite largely on the side of the box. The font of the words looked as though it was written by a kid. But it wasn’t messy to the point where I couldn’t read the words.

I dusted the lid and opened the box. I couldn’t see much, especially in this dim room. It made me wonder how I spotted the aprons in the first place.

Then just as I was scanning around for some kind of better light source, I found a torch by the side of my shoes. It would’ve been better if I saw this earlier. It could’ve helped me from tripping through the tennis rackets and fishing lines.

I switched the flashlight on with a click. Glad that this old-looking thing still works, made me wonder how long these batteries do really last for.

Anyhow, continuing my discovery of the cardboard container, I found a thick photo album along with some old toys in the box. Well, the toys weren’t that old, but it seemed like something kids at the age of seven would play, like the green yo-yo that was in my hand.

I smiled and tried it out, releasing energy from my fingers and pushing the yo-yo forward. The small green yo-yo spun out and as my eyes watched it spun, my hand naturally reacted to withdraw it back in.

My eyes widened.

It was as though I’d played this yo-yo before.

I then glanced down and observed the photo album. I blew the white dust off the album like winter snowflakes falling down from the sky.

Opening the photo album, I flipped through the pages and realised that the photo album was burnt. But more importantly, there wasn’t a single photo in the sleeves. I closed the album and left it at the side my shoes. Looking a little deeper into the box, I found some kind of shiny coin. But as I looked closer, it wasn’t money. I scrubbed the surface of the silver coin and studied the pattern.

There was a simple leaf with detailed veins. The leaf was carved on the coin in an elegant way where it looked like it was flying across the parallel winds in the sky, while the veins on the leaf look so realistic it could jump out of the coin any moment. I flipped to the other side of the coin; there was a phrase: ‘Under the oak tree’.

I questioned myself, “Oak tree?” I wondered, “But there are billions of oak trees in the world. Where on earth would I find this oak tree? Some genius this person was.”

But for some reason, as I looked at the coin again, it felt like I’ve seen it somewhere before. I shined the flashlight on it and it twinkled in a way that told me to take care of it as though it was a lucky charm. I decided to keep it.

Slipping it into my back pocket, I then shined the torch into the box again. There were still a lot of items to be discovered. I can seriously just sit here for another hour. But knowing that I wouldn’t finish, I decided to put all the items back into the box.

In goes the little green yo-yo, and when I picked up the photo album something fell out.

A single photo.

Well, the photo wasn’t too old that it looked black and white. It was a coloured photo. The only problem was this photo was ripped and burnt on the top. So whoever was on it, I couldn’t see their appearances except for their shoes.

I examined the photo more closely, looking for finer details. I noticed that the shoes were quite small, so I guess the photo had two children on it. One was wearing blue shorts, long to the knees, in which I’m assuming that the child was a boy because of his train socks and the other was a girl because of her red dress with flowering patterns on it.

They were standing quite closely tooalmost like they were holding hands. In the background, there was a house. I stared at the picture closer, actually two houseslike twin houses. But because the top of the photo wasn’t there, I couldn’t confirm if they were twin houses.

“What’s taking you so long?”

I jumped with a fright.

I glanced over my shoulder to recognise who the voice belonged to. Seeing his face, I wasn’t surprised.

“Nothing,” I said to Ice Pack Stealer. “Why are you down here?”

Looking at him, I could see signs of black charcoal on his clothes. He must’ve finished setting up the barbeque. I stood up and glared at him.

“Let me guess,” I paused, “you’re down here because you’re bored?”

He grinned as he folded his arms and leant against the door frame.

“Nice guess,” he replied. “But no. Your mum told me to go check up on you because you’re taking too long in the basement. She was afraid that you might have fallen down and hurt yourself.”

“Ha ha,” I laughed, sarcastically. “Very funny.”

I rolled my eyes at him and placed the photo album back inside the box.

“Believe what you want,” he said. “But I’m just stating the truth.”

Closing the lid, I lifted the box and tried to squeeze out through the other stacks of boxes. Almost forgetting about the aprons, the main purpose why I was here, I lowered down and reached for them.

“Need some help?” Ice Pack Stealer asked.

“No thanks,” I replied. “I’m good.”

“Are you sure?” he asked again.

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure, sure?”

“Yes.”

“Are you absolutely sure?

I stared daggers at him, “Could you quit with the questions? It’s seriously starting to annoy me.” I said louder, as I concentrate on picking up the aprons with one hand while holding the box with the other. I wanted to put the box down but there really wasn’t a place to put it.

I heard him chuckled, and at the corner of my eye, I saw him guiding himself into the towers of boxes.

“I told you, I don’t need your help.”

“Well,” he continued moving closer, “your mouth says that, but your actions are telling me that you do.”

“Just stand there, okay? And don’t move a muscle.” I glared at him, “I can deal with it myself.”

He continued to dive into the towers of boxes. Looks like he won’t listen to me. So I ignored him and continued my quest to pick up the aprons.

But as I moved my feet a bit and shuffled a little bit more to reach the aprons, I slipped over a piece of paper on the floor and lost my grip. That made the box jump into the air, while my body was going in the opposite direction like a fallen tree.

However, within that second, my hand was grabbed by the wrist and this stopped me from falling down hardor so I thought. The box was flying, but luckily, the lid was still closed so there wasn’t anything coming out. But as I was staring at the words ‘My Stuff’, I realised that it stopped flying in the air and it was caught in his hand. I gasped, wondering how on earth he could grab my wrist with one hand while catching a large box with the other. Thinking that he could have saved me from falling, I was wrong.

We both fell down to the ground, quite hard.

There was a definite crash as we stumbled into the towers of boxes and things started jumping out. I landed on my back first while his body moved in a similar way. In the end, we were in the awkward position. The position where his body was on top of mine.

He placed the box down and my eyes widened as I realised how little space our lips were. I stared upwards and just happened to meet his sky blue eyes—my favourite colour since I was young. Then looking to one side, I noticed that his left arm was pressing against the floor, in which kept him from falling on top of me.

I looked up again, expecting him to grin or something. But he, too, had his eyes widened looking back at me. The awkward silence fell over the two of us as I struggled to breathe in the weird air around us.

I reacted and I pushed him. He rolled over and landed on his back.

I gave a quick sigh and sat up. When I gazed over to him, I could see him closing his eyes with one hand covering his forehead; the other was still holding on to my wrist. I wondered why he was closing his eyes until I noticed that his cheeks were still red. Wait, is the mark from the punch still there? But I remembered that I only punched his left cheek.

Don’t tell me he’s blushing?

Breaking the silence, I spoke, “Could you let go of my hand now?”

He didn’t answer. Instead, he tilted his head a little and looked down at my right hand. I was expecting him to say something. But he didn’t. He lifted my hand and stared at my pinkie. Assuming that he was studying my hand, I soon realised that he was looking at my silver ring. His eyes widened.

I quickly withdrew my hand and hid it behind my back.

“Where did you get that ring?” he sat up and asked me quietly.

His cheeks were not red anymore.

I blinked a few times. “None of your business,” I paused. “Besides, why do you want to know?”

“Just answer my question.”

“No. Why do I have to answer a question from an ice pack stealer like you?”

“It’s because…” he sat there thinking. Looking at his expression, it didn’t look like he wanted to tell me what was going on in his mind.

“Forget it,” I said. “Forget, I asked.”

“Juliet! Is everything fine down there?” I heard Mum calling for me.

“Everything is perfectly fine!” I called back.

“Then what was that loud crash before?”

“It was nothing!” I replied trying to keep my voice even.

“Okay, dear! I hope it was nothing too!”

With that, I heard my mum’s footsteps disappear into the distance. I glanced back at Ice Pack Stealer and saw the look on his face. For some reason, he was still shocked over something. I headed towards his direction and picked up the box.

“Here, give these aprons to my mum,” I said firmly as I threw the three aprons to him. I stood up and stared at him. “I’m going to put this box in my room,” I said with a soft voicea voice in which I was trying not to rage at him.

“And you,” I paused, “next time, don’t help me.”

I ended my sentence and didn’t look back. Carrying the box, I headed upstairs.


Romeo

Sitting there, the three aprons landed on the ground next to me. I looked at my handthe hand in which was able to hold hers.

Could it be that… I lowered my head and the flashback of her forest green eyes staring back at me appeared in my mind. I laughed to myself.

I shook my head again and sighed. “No way, she’s her.”

“Their personalities are completely different,” I paused. “Then again, their names are the same.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Currently Writing