Chapter 18: Glued Pages

9 July 2017


After a good night thinking about which group I should be joining for the school’s Foundation Day, I’m now heading to the Year Adviser to submit my form. But what made me happier was my brilliant idea for Ice Pack Stealer’s prank. It’s going to be beautiful.

In the end, I had chosen to join the music group because all the other groups didn’t sound like something I’d enjoy doing. There was the science group, which I heard was planning to build a water rocket; the fashion group, who wanted to feature a fashion show with the theme ‘Pink’; the food group, who was planning to bake the town’s largest cake; the art group, who was doing a display gallery with some virtual reality; and the music group, who would be performing a live concert.

I signed up for the music group not to perform but to help out with the setting up of the concert. I could totally imagine myself setting up the chairs and microphones or helping out with the lights when the technicians need an extra pair of hands. Basically, I wanted to do something that wouldn’t draw attention to myself, mainly because I don’t want to draw attention from the teachers. I wanted to be in the shadows so that it would be easier for me to finish this prank war once and for all!

“Here’s my form, sir,” I gave the Year Adviser the sheet of paper.

Mr Downs smiled, “I didn’t know you have an interest to help out with the stage management.”

I just found out that Mr Downs, my biology teacher, was also my Year Adviser. I was quite shocked when I asked Kat this morning.

“Yeah,” I nodded, “I wanted to try out something new this year.”

“Very well then.” Mr Downs ticked the boxes at the bottom of the form. “I will put your name into the roll.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“No problem.”

I stepped out of the science staffroom and headed towards the basketball courts. Why am I going to the basketball courts, do you ask? Well, it’s simple. It’s for a prank.

Apparently, Ice Pack Stealer plays basketball quite often with his friends. I just happened to see him at the basketball courts yesterday afternoon and it gave me a great idea, especially how he leaves his school bag lying around so conveniently unattended.

Peeking my head out from a brick wall, I noticed that there were a bunch of guys playing basketball on the school courts. It was pretty intense seeing how the guys were shouting to each other and waving their arms around in the air.

I squinted a bit and noticed Ice Pack Stealer was in the centre of the court. He just caught the basketball and started dribbling it towards the hoop. His movements were swift and agile with every turn he made. Even I had to admit that his basketball skills were pretty good. But enough about him.

I scanned the basketball courts again and in the distance, I spotted several giggling girls watching the guys while whispering amongst each other. I’m not sure who they were giggling at because there were so many basketball games playing at once, but I’m pretty sure they all had their heads in the clouds.

On the opposite side of the courts, were the bags. The wonderful misplaced school bags that were perfect for me to prank on. My only problem was now, figuring out which bag belonged to Ice Pack Stealer. That shouldn’t be too hard. Right?

I sneaked up to the bags and did a quick scan for a dark blue bag. I knew that Ice Pack Stealer's bag is a dark blue colour because I saw him carrying it yesterday. Anyway, I’m so glad that the guys were still having an intense basketball game right now. It was intense to the point that everyone’s attention was on either the ball or Ice Pack Stealer. I didn’t really care where the attention was, as long as it wasn’t on me.

I spotted Ice Pack Stealer’s bag and unzipped it. I quickly took out one of the exercise books and checked for the name; just in case I got the wrong bag.

Name: Romeo Jones
Subject: Biology

I smirked. Awesome, I got the right bag!

Taking out my liquid glue pen from my pockets, I unscrewed the tip and began to draw a line of glue on any random page. I did this for several pages. Glancing up to check on the basketball game, the guys were still trying to snatch the ball.

I drew a few more invisible lines with the liquid glue and heard a loud thud. Startled, I looked up and saw one of the players were on the ground. He was groaning and, by the looks of it, he probably twisted his ankle quite badly. The guys stopped the game and huddled around the injured player. I realised that Ice Pack Stealer was one of the first to notice that his friend was injured.

They were asking him if he was okay and if he was still able to walk to the infirmary. I knew it was my time to leave, so I closed the exercise book as tightly as I could and quickly shoved it back into Ice Pack Stealer’s bag.

“Jack and I will carry Ben to the infirmary,” I heard Ice Pack Stealer’s voice. “Simon, you go and grab our bags.”

I stood up and saw Simon turning his head to my direction. I quickly turned around and dashed as fast as I could.


“What subject do we have next?”

Kat gazed at me as she thought to herself. “It’s biology.”

“Thanks,” I smiled back. “I keep getting the periods for biology and chemistry mixed up.”

“It’s probably because we’re in the same classroom,” Kat stated.

“Probably.”

Kat and I were sitting under a tree on a picnic mat eating our recess. We couldn’t find a seat in the cafeteria so the grass was our next best option.

“Were you able to give in the form this morning?” Kat stared at me as she ate her salad.

“Yeah, I did. Thanks for letting me know that Mr Downs is our Year Advisor. Saved me from running laps around the school.”

“No problem,” Kat laughed. “So which group did you choose in the end?”

“I chose the music group.”

“Music?” Kat’s eyes looked amused. “Why music?”

“I thought I could help out with the stage management for the concert so that I can keep pranking on Ice Pack Stealer.”

“Ah, I see,” Kat smiled. “I guess Romeo is probably going to be in the music group too.”

“How come?”

“Well, you said that he plays his violin next to your bedroom all the time, right? So the chances of him signing up for the music group and perform for the school’s concert is pretty high,” Kat said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Great!” I sighed. “That just means that I’ll see his face more often,” I grumbled as I crossed my arms.

There was a pause as the gears in my head turned. “But on the positive side, I could prank him more often!”

Kat nodded. “True. That’s a very positive way of thinking.”

I did a soft evil chuckle, “O Romeo, Romeo, what shall I start with, Romeo?”

“Did you just quoted Shakespeare?” Kat looked at me.

“Kind of,” I grinned at her. “I changed it a bit.”

Katrina giggled. “Shall I hear more, or shall I…” she giggled again, “watch you from afar with your pranks?”

“Nice!” I complimented her. “I didn’t expect you to know that one. But you can do either, I don’t mind telling you my plans or watch me prank Ice Pack Stealer. Just promise me you won’t spoil it for him.”

“I’ll just watch from afar then,” Kat smiled. “I like seeing your pranking expressions.”

“Pranking expressions?” I questioned.

“Your scheming face,” Kat said, bluntly.

“Ha ha…” I shrugged, “It just comes naturally okay? I can’t stop it.”

“I know.”


Here I am, again, next to Ice Pack Stealer in biology. Mr Downs just explained to us who Gregor Mendel was, the Father of Genetics, and how his peas experiment showed the fundamental laws of inheritance. Our biology teacher then turned around to write something on the whiteboard and told us to copy it down.

I unzipped my pencil case and started writing down whatever Mr Downs was writing on the board. Ice Pack Stealer, on the other hand, was struggling to open his exercise book. I snickered.

Ice Pack Stealer was staring at his book at different angles. When he realised that it was a prank, he moved his head towards my direction like a robot. “You did this, didn’t you?” he whispered.

I raised an eyebrow, trying to keep my cool act. “What are you on about?”

“This,” he waved his exercise book in my face. “You glued it didn’t you?”

“Er… no.” I stated.

Rule number five, never admit that you’d just pranked someone. Why? They might record it and use it against you.

Ice Pack Stealer rolled his eyes. “Why am I even asking you? Of course, you’re not going to admit,” he murmured.

Bingo! Took you a while to realise.

Ice Pack Stealer faced to the front and tried to open his book again. I silently watched him with a small grin.

His hazelnut brown hair flopped over his eyes a bit as he concentrated on the pages of the exercise book. Delicately, opening the book, the pages began to obey him. His ocean blue eyes widened as he smiled with triumph on his success. It was until his patience ran out that he peeled the pages a little too fast and a ripping sound was heard throughout the classroom.

I put my hand over my mouth, attempting to cover up my curled smile. But a soft giggle breathed out and Ice Pack Stealer’s head snapped to me.

The class, however, had their attention on us; even Mr Downs was walking towards our direction.

“How are you going, Romeo?” Mr Downs asked.

“G-Good,” Ice Pack Stealer replied, a little surprised that Mr Downs was already next to him.

“Where? Let me have a look.”

Ice Pack Stealer was covering up his book by literally folding his arms over it. He looked like a mother hen being overprotective of his eggs.

“Let me see your work, Romeo.”

Mr Downs put a little force on Ice Pack Stealer’s arms as he tried to see the exercise book. After a few detention threats from our biology teacher, Ice Pack Stealer reluctantly gave in and showed his book to Mr Downs. He wasn’t happy about it. But in the end, he looked at Ice Pack Stealer and said, “Why didn’t you just ask me for some paper?”

Ice Pack Stealer scratched his neck and looked down, “I didn’t think you’ll have any.”

What an excellent answer! (Note: I’m being sarcastic here.)

Mr Downs shook his head, gave him some lined paper and continued on with the lesson.

“You’ll pay for this,” Ice Pack Stealer mumbled.

“I’m so scared,” I whispered back.

He gave me a glare and I chuckled to myself.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Currently Writing